Why We Care:

*Studies of the 2005 US Census Bureau survey show that Syracuse has the third highest overall poverty rate (31%) and the very highest black poverty rate (42%) of the central cities in Americas 100 largest metropolitan areas. They also show a child poverty rate of 45%.
-Howie Dawkins

*Syracuse's Near West Side neighborhood is one of the most economically and socially challenged places in Central New York - even the nation.
-The Post Standard

*A Children's Defense Fund study put Syracuse, NY in second place among 244 cities for having the highest number of Latino children living in poverty.
-The Post Standard


Thursday, February 5, 2009

Big Brother/ Big Sister

Just a quick note shouting out Big Brother/ Big Sister.  This is a program that OrangeCares would LOVE to see more Syracuse students involved with.  It's easy, it's fun, and it's rewarding.  At the very least it fills up that blank space next to the "Community Service" section of your resume.

Here is a testimonial from my brother, who participated in this program while he was in college:  

"It didn't take long for me to grow really fond of my little brother.  After awhile, I really looked forward to hanging out with him.  I took pride in the fact that our time together meant so much to him.  His mom would always tell me how pumped he'd be whenever I called.  It made me feel really good to know I was helping him out and that he valued my role in his life.  He opened up to me and told me things that he has never shared with anyone else.  To be that trusted was truly humbling.  Since my little brother didn't have a father, he struggled relating to men in his life.  I like to think that I had a positive impact on that aspect of his life.  Selfishly, I was really enjoying our relationship as well.  It was never a chore to hang out with my little brother.  It was always something I looked forward to.  Although I've graduated college and moved away, we still keep in touch to this day.  My experience in the Big Brother/ Big Sister program was an extremely positive one." 

-Thomas Ferreira, UMass Amherst Class of 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment